ITP: metis -- Software package for partitioning unstructured graphs

Package: wnpp
Severity: wishlist

Section: non-free/science -- Is this okay?
 METIS is a software package for partitioning unstructured graphs,
 partitioning meshes, and computing fill-reducing orderings of
 sparse matrices. The algorithms in METIS are based on multilevel
 graph partitioning resulting in high quality partitions and low
 fill orderings while running very fast

It was downloaded from http://www-users.cs.umn.edu/~karypis/metis/

Upstream Author(s): George Karypis and Vipin Kumar

Copyright:

Source code is provided. However:

Our policy regarding the distribution of METIS with third-party
applications is as follows:

 * Non-commercial applications
   METIS can be freely distributed provided that:
    o Proper references are included.
    o The original documentation and copyright notice is
      included.
 * Commercial applications
    METIS can be freely distributed provided that:
    o Proper references are included.
    o The original documentation and copyright notice is
      included.
    o METIS is a relatively small portion of the overall
      application.

In either case, permission to distribute/include METIS with your
application must be obtained by sending email to
metis@cs.umn.edu.

I think this qualifies the program as non-free, but this is a
very important software package and it would supposedly be okay
if I get a proper permission from George Karypis.

Thanks,

PS: I'm not subscribed to debian-devel, please retain the Cc:

--
Eray Ozkural (exa)
e-mail: erayo@cs.bilkent.edu.tr