Re: Followup: Syslog

from the secret journal of Kenneth Vestergaard Schmidt (kenneth@bitnisse.dk):
> o Encrypted logs (Compressed?)

I think this is better left to logrotate or a similar tool. You gain nothing
from writing compressed data directly.

> With that in mind, I've been considering making my own logger. Is this a
> good idea? I've considered it a bit, and thought it would be best to start
> with the current sysklogd source, and make small, tested changes to be
> sure that it's still safe & working. What do people think of this?

My first introduction to msyslog was through this thread. Impressed, I am
downloading it as I write this. Rather than start yet another alternative
logger, I hope we could agree on where msyslog (or syslog-ng) falls short
and fix it.

--
Jacob Kuntz
Technology Director