Re: Packaging static-only lib?

On Thu, Apr 12, 2001 at 04:13:47PM -0400, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> Poor performance does not always mean unusability.  Is the library only capable
> of displaying digital video, or can it do things like batch encoding and
> decoding as well?  Try not to exclude non-x86 users unless you are sure they
> would have absolutely no use for the package.

Sure it's capable of non-interactive uses as well, but watching a live
stream is the main application. That said, I never intended to exclude
non-x86 users - I run Debian on ppc and alpha myself. I wanted to know if
it was okay to deviate from policy in order to not exclude _x86_ users.
Well, the only issue remaining, that if I only build a libdv-dev on x86,
I'd like to keep it consistent across platform and provide a static lib
only even on archs where the shared lib isn't broken. But that's a minor
problem in my opinion. The policy violation being the main issue.

Best regards,

Daniel.

--
	GNU/Linux Audio Mechanics - http://www.glame.de