Re: ftp filesystem

On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 02:40:59PM -0400, Jacob Kuntz wrote:
> from the secret journal of Steve M. Robbins (steven.robbins@videotron.ca):
> > Hi,
> >

> Little OT, but I'll bite. Take a look at Debian/Hurd. It is possible to
> mount just about anything as a filesystem, from ftp arhives to mysql
> databases.

Neat!  Now please explain how to use this on a Debian/Linux system :-)

-S

P.S. Some FreeBSD folks were interested in userland filesystems about
a year ago
<http://docs.FreeBSD.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=7216+0+/usr/local/www/db/text/2000/freebsd-fs/20000123.freebsd-fs>

I don't know whether anything came of it, but in the discussion,
someone mentioned that arla and coda are two examples of distributed
filesytems managed by user-space processes.  Midnight commander (&
hence uservfs) are built on coda, as I understand it.  I looked
briefly at the coda and arla websites, but didn't notice any generic
"userfs"-type filesystem projects.