Re: depricating libgmp2

On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 04:52:35PM -0400, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Apr 2001, Gopal Narayanan wrote:
> > I converted the yacas package from depending on libgmp2 to libgmp3,
> > and forwarded changes upstream a month or two ago. The changes were
>
> Is there anything I can do to libgmp3 to make the transition easier?

Not really.

> (Like, just what were the "minimal" changes?)

Slight changes in the API in libgmp3 prompted a couple of minor
changes in the configure script in yacas.  I had to patch the upstream
configure script a bit (like including gmp.h) in the C-program that
configure used to detect libgmp, and defining a variable more
rigorously. That fix did not break the detection or usage with libgmp2
(it was backwards compatible). I can send you the patch if you want.

> > gopal@auric:/org/ftp.debian.org/ftp/dists/woody/main/binary-i386$grep-dctrl -F Depends -spackage,maintainer libgmp2 Packages
>
> Wow! What a cool package! I'm downloading it as we speak. This will be
> very useful. Thanks!

You mean grep-dctrl? Yes it is indeed cool!

> I had no idea so many packages used gmp, much less the large number still
> using libgmp2.
>
> I'll contact the maintainers, and see if I can get them to transition to
> libgmp3. Once that transition is complete we should be able to drop the
> package, right?

Yes, why not?

--
Gopal Narayanan <gopal@debian.org> <gopal@astro.umass.edu>