Re: debian 2.3

On Tue, Apr 10, 2001 at 11:02:01PM -0700, Sam Powers wrote:

> > it has serious filesystem corruption problems recently.
>
> Let's hope this gets worked out in time for woody. but I wouldn't bank on it.

hell 2.2 didn't stop eating filesystems until 2.2.14.  2.2.13 murdered
one box of mine 3 times in a row.

> > silo (sparc bootloader) and yaboot/quik (powerpc bootloaders) do not
> > support it yet.
>
> I was aware of reiserfs issues on other archetectures, but iirc, you don't
> need to make root or boot reiser.. if you want to use reiserfs, you can
> either use /boot instead of /, or make / ext2 (it doesn't take long to fsck
> at all unless you're a newbie and make a giant root partition)

/boot works very poorly with quik (oldworld powerpc bootloader) and
its annoying with silo as well.  both of these read thier config file
directly from the root filesystem, unlike lilo.  silo can be told to
look elsewhere then /etc, quik doesn't seem to do that right.  but in
any event moving a config file to /boot is a policy error.

IMHO reiserfs needs another year or two (at least) to really mature
before it should be considered a candidate for the default filesystem.

and by then one of the other options may turn out being a better
choice.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/