Re: undocumented(7) should be in an essential package

On Sat, 7 Apr 2001, Joseph Carter wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 07, 2001 at 07:40:07PM -0700, Joey Hess wrote:
> > > Why can't we just do away with this silly "undocumented" manpage? It never
> > > did what it was supposed to do - tell people that the maintainer knows
> > > about the problem and a bts entry exists.

> > How about we just write all the missing man pages, remove
> > undocumented.7, and be done? :-)

> Remove undocumented.7 first, then file RC bugs for use of it along with a
> URL to some info on using pod2man or some sgml DTD which converts easily
> to manpage or something.  Hopefully people will get the hint?  =)

... and add support to the man package so that any time a user reads a manpage
that's symlinked to undocumented.7, it automatically identifies the source
package and emails a reminder to the maintainer. ;)  Maybe then there'd be
some real incentive to fix those bugs...

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer