Re: Woody Freeze Plans - Progress Report

On Sat, Apr 07, 2001 at 12:50:16PM +0200, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
> Anthony Towns <ajt@debian.org> writes:
>
> > In short: there hasn't been any, go help Adam and David with
> > boot-floppies.
>
> I'm wondering, as a bit of a newcomer to Debian, who hasn't ever
> installed Debian with floppies but rather by untarring base.tar.gz
> (from another Linux installation that was done from bootable CD): when
> you say floppies, do you really, actually mean floppies?

the name boot-floppies is somewhat historical, they are indeed
floppies, but the same thing is used on bootable CDs (bootable CDs on
x86 is just a regular ol floppy image embedded on the CD and marked as
a boot file anyway)

> Nobody uses floppies anymore, we should focus on the boot-cd, imho.

there are a lot of systems that won't boot off the CD so the
installation system has to be able to live on floppies, that of course
does not negate bootable CDs which debian has had for a long time.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/