Re: RFC: new update-inetd

aj@azure.humbug.org.au (Anthony Towns)  wrote on 04.04.01 in <[🔎] 20010404002918.A14375@azure.humbug.org.au>:

> On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 09:16:53AM -0400, Richard A Nelson wrote:
> > > It would be possible. What, exactly, would it do?
> > Oh, heh...  It parse /etc/inetd.con and set the return based upon
> > the status of <service> [possibly in group <group>:
> >    * not installed
> >    * enabled
> >    * disabled
> > The last two are the most pressing, but I'll bet the first comes free
> > with the latter
>
> More exactly, please. What happens if two fingerd's are installed? Or
> postfix is removed but not purged, and exim is installed but disabled? What
> if your service is disabled for multiple reasons? What if it's disabled by
> the user? What *exactly* do you want to know?

Suggestion:

* if only a service is given, report (via exit code) if such a service
exists and if it is enabled;

* if the rest of the usual specs are given, report (via exit code) the
same for the more specific case;

* in any case, if, say, --verbose is given, report (via stdout) the actual
settings for that service (possibly multiple entries, most disabled) in
any parsable form (maybe dump already knows how to do that?).

Should solve any needs.

MfG Kai