Re: Problems using libtool

On Wed, Apr 04, 2001 at 01:59:18PM -0400, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> I recently added the .la file to libgmp3-dev, and being totally ignorant
> about the ramifications have been responding to various bug reports.
>
> Apparently the .la file must be installed using libtool, but the manpage
> is rather incomplete about what happens when you supply --mode=install
> option. libtool --help is a bit more help, but what it says isn't what
> happens. The implication of the help is that what follows the mode option
> is either the word install or cp and that all that follows is passed as
> options to that command. Apparently libtool does more than that. When I
> try to use it in the rules file I get:
>
> install -m 644 ./.libs/libgmp.a debian/tmp/usr/lib/.
> libtool --mode=install \
>    install -m 644 ./.libs/libgmp.la `pwd`/debian/tmp/usr/lib/.
> install -m 644 ./.libs/.libs/libgmp.so.3.1.1
> /home/dwarf/build/libgmp3-3.1.1/debian/tmp/usr/lib/./libgmp.so.3.1.1
> install: cannot stat `./.libs/.libs/libgmp.so.3.1.1': No such file or
> directory
> make: *** [binary] Error 1

Try losing the .libs in the libtool call?  In fact, if it uses libtool,
you should probably be doing all three lines with libtool.

Along the lines of:
  libtool --mode=install -m 644 libgmp.a `pwd`/debian/tmp/usr/lib/.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz                           Debian GNU/Linux Developer
Monta Vista Software                              Debian Security Team