Re: daemons running as nobody

Gentle people,

The ideal situation is that all detached user-space processes have separate
owners. The rationale for this is obvious: In case of a compromise, the
attacker can only manipulate resources which are owned by the compromised
service. If multiple processes were to be owned by the 'nobody' user, then the
attacker would gain access to services beyond the one which was compromised.
Sadly, few services change their owner UID following their creation.
I do not know why the 'nobody' user exists (Perhaps a more history
aware person would care to share his knowledge) but a service must be owned
by a user unique to that particular service; for example, named should be owned
by adnsowner (Or something similar). 'nobody' should be avoided because it is
not unique to any service and many (stupid) programs may choose to use it.
The bottom line is: Each daemon should have a corresponding user, this may
lead to bulky passwd files, but the merits far surpass the disavanteges.

	Regards, Yotam Rubin