Re: daemons running as nobody

On Sun, Apr 01, 2001 at 01:45:46AM +0200, Fabrice Gautier wrote:

> On Sun, 1 Apr 2001 00:34:40 +0200
> Lenart Janos <ocsi@irisz.hu> wrote:
>
> > I thought *not* any daemon should run as nobody,
>
> Why (do you think that) ?
> Why not (should daemons run as nobody) ?

i think running daemons as nobody is ok if done in moderation, and
only on more or less unimportant daemons.  the thing with nobody is it
should not own ANY file on the filesystem.  so if the daemon needs to
write files it should not run as nobody.

the bigger flam^H^H^H^Hdebate is whether daemons should share uids at
all.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/