Re: apt: pin: how to debug?

dan@debian.org (Daniel Jacobowitz)  wrote on 25.03.01 in <[🔎] 20010325113755.A18681@nevyn.them.org>:

> On Sun, Mar 25, 2001 at 05:24:16AM -0600, Taral wrote:
> > >
> > > I have /etc/apt/preferences set to:
> > > 	Package: *
> > > 	Pin: release a=testing
> > > 	Pin-Priority: 900
> >
> > More on pins: I can't get origin pins to work. This doesn't work, for
> > example:
> >
> > Package: package
> > Pin: origin http://host/path/to/debian/
> > Pin-Priority: -1
> >
> > Is this not the correct format for a pin? If it's not, then that man
> > page _really_ needs some clarification. (It needs clarification anyway.)
>
> Yep, it sure does.
>
> You're looking for Pin: release o=Debian
> (no 'origin', no URL - look at Release files to see the proper names
> for Origin:).

How do you know?

>From reading the manpage, *I* would expect that he's instead looking for
"Pin: origin host" (i.e., host, not URL), which is entirely different from
"Pin: release o=Debian" (the latter needs a "Release" file, the former
doesn't).

Incidentally, what *is* the right command line option for apt-get to turn
on --force-overwrite? I can do it with apt.conf, but I haven't managed to
find something that works with -o.

MfG Kai