Re: testing is broken

On Tue, Mar 20, 2001 at 09:57:54PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> The breakage has been going on for some time.  Initially it was an
> update to console-data, which fails to configure correctly.  The
> package maintainer reports that the actual problem is that woody lacks
> a recent enough debconf to deal with the console-data package that's
> been added to woody.

Actually in that case the packages dependency is broken.

> And now there's a new apt in woody.  This new apt conflicts with a
> jillion packages, including xserver-xfree86, many libraries, emacs20,
> cvs and many other important packages.  A friend informs me this also
> is probably due to out-of-date debconf.

Yes it is. It is annoying, I reported it on irc but some ppl was the
oppinion that it is not a problem. Actually as long as you dont do a
dist-upgrade, you wont have a problem. But ince especially apt is very
tempting "hey a new version" .. perhaps we should try to get debconf into
testing as quick as possible.

> 1) This should be fixed in woody.  The whole point of the testing
>    distro is to give a distro that enables people to test packages for
>    the upcoming release without getting the latest install-bug-of-the-
>    week.  But that requires some kind of prompt attention to the
>    install bugs that leak through.

There is no install bug (besides the missing dependency).. your system will
simply refuse you to upgrade apt as long as you have packages on your system
which use debconf (or until the new debconf is out). This is not exactly
broken, even if it might bite the one or other user. Those issues cant be
detected by katie automatically.

> 2) There needs to be a bug reporting address for problems like this,
>    and other package-pool related inconsistencies.

See above, file a bug against console-data for the missing dependency..
the inconsitent dependencies for testing and unstable are expected. We will
probably dont establish an bug address cause they are too often (even if the
particualr one is ugly as hell).

> 3) Problems like the one with apt can be automatically detected.
>    Packages outside of Extra are not supposed to conflict with other
>    packages outside Extra.  It would be very easy to write a scanner
>    to go over the archive and report on such inconsistencies.

In that case we will get a lot of circular dependencies and some packets may
never go into testing. Dont forget that there might some package combination
which are perfectly well working. If you want to have the omplete
distribution in shape thies requires much more work.. thats why we dont
release that often (among others).

According to w.d.o debconf is new, uploaded with high, so the problem should
be fixed soon.

Greetings
Bernd
--