Re: Strange mail/list behaviour? (was Re: Strange apt-get behavior with held packages)

On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 10:29:21AM -0600, Taral wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 11:28:49AM +0100, J.A. Bezemer wrote:
> > Note the `>' at the start of the reply. I'm quite sure Richard didn't write
> > that, just as I didn't in
> > http://lists.debian.org/debian-events-eu-0103/msg00023.html
> > My saved-messages contains positive proof of the latter. Since Richard used
> > Mutt and I used Pine, and both messages took entirely different routes to get
> > to murphy, I suspect there's a problem in either murphy's qmail or the list
> > software. Ideas?
>
> Well, either your mailer isn't q-p encoding your messages or l.d.o is
> unencoding them. Either way, l.d.o should use q-p encoding to quote the
> F rather than corrupting the message content.

hmm?

Is l.d.o doing anything at all?

I rather assumed that the message was being transmitted untouched, but
Anne is using mbox-format messages locally, so Anne's local MDA is
'From-munging' them as they arrive.

My local MDA would do the same, since I also use mbox locally.  So do
many people, in fact ;)

Oh, and:

http://home.netscape.com/eng/mozilla/2.0/relnotes/demo/content-length.html

Jules