Re: Strange apt-get behavior with held packages

On Tue, Mar 20, 2001 at 03:09:05PM -0500, Bob Hilliard wrote:
>      On a different subject, the perl brokeness that has been
> discussed at length seems to have moved out of unstable to testing.
> After un-holding emacs 19, I tried apt-get -u dist-upgrade, and it
> proposed to remove 48 packages, including almost anything related to
> perl.  After aborting, I tried apt-get upgrade, and it kept-back 15
> packages, mainly perl or perl related.

>From what I could tell of it, it wasn't perl, but a dependency clash
between apt and debconf.  apt 0.5.3 is now in testing, and it
no longer Provides libapt-pkg2.7, which my version of debconf depends
on.

You will only see this effect if you have a debconf which is newer
than the one currently in testing, and older than the one in unstable.
I have it with debconf 0.5.35 on one of my machines, I guess it was
installed when testing was closer to unstable than it is now.

Richard Braakman