Re: Question about apt-get source and building a package

On Mon, Mar 19, 2001 at 06:14:45AM -0000, Charles Farley wrote:

> I am a little picky about a few things. sorry if that makes me a bad person.
> But I perfer my X, compiler, and glibc libraries (among other things) to be
> compiled specifically for my system arch.  I assumed that apt-get source and
> compiling these package on my system with export CFLAGS='-march=i686 and such
> will do the trick, but I noticed that dpkg-architecture prints out i386 for
> everyhting.  Will this over-ride my export settings and compile, for
> instance, glibc for a lesser arch?  I have looked into everyhitng I could but
> have found no really clear answer on this matter.  How do you compile a
> package for your specific arch in debian, and still maintain it in dpkg
> package management?

The short answer is that dpkg-architecture doesn't figure into it unless you're
trying to cross-compile.  dpkg-architecture, as its manpage states, is
reporting the Debian architecture string, not the compiler's target
architecture.

You are doing the correct thing by setting CFLAGS.  If a package doesn't honour
the setting of CFLAGS in your environment, you may file a wishlist bug against
it (wishlist, as I don't think this is required behavior, but it certainly is
nice).

--
 - mdz