Re: MAIL FOLDER "INBOX" CLOSED DUE TO ACCESS ERROR

On Sun, 4 Mar 2001, Cristian Ionescu-Idbohrn wrote:

> I'm having this kind of trouble (see subject line) while opening my
> inbox.

Sorry for the late reply I'm way behind on my debian-devel reading.

> Using: pine 4.33 client on Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 (potato) ++
>        Linux my-box 2.2.17 #2 Wed Nov 8 16:30:49 CET 2000 i686
>        IMAP4rev1 v12.264 server ready
>
> --- /etc/inetd.conf ---
> imaps stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/sslwrap \
>   -cert /etc/sslwrap/server.pem -port 143 -without_pid
> ---

Is there any reason why you aren't using uw-imapd-ssl?  As the name
suggests it has built in SSL capabilities.

> I do receive "a lot" of messages and use pine's filtering features to
> sort them out to different folders. This happens only when
> establishing the connection to my imap server over ssl (port 993).
>
> I do not experience this particular problem when either:
>
> 1. there are relatively few messages in my inbox (and ssl connect), or
> 2. I do have lots of new messages in my inbox, but I connect over an
>    ssh tunnel
>
> Anyone else experiencing something similar?

[...]

imapd locks the mailbox so only one client can access it at a time.  If a
second client connection is attempted it can't get the lock and gets that
error message.  You should check to see if you have stale imapd
processes lying around.  These can be caused by client timeouts in some
cases or by the SSL taking too long to start up or shut down.

IMAP 2000 (packages: uw-imapd2000 and uw-imapd-ssl2000) should be a lot
better in this regard.

> Cheers :)
> Cristian
>
> PS. Incidentally, looking through the log, I see traces from an
>     earlier pine buffer overflow flopout caused by lengthy message
>     header entries, and which are now glued to the famous first
>     message in the mailbox.
>     Is there some way to wash that out?

You can actually delete that message now, imapd doesn't use it anymore.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>