Re: Xpdf fuckware

On Sat, Mar 17, 2001 at 01:42:54AM +0200, Sampo Niskanen wrote:
> It has it's flaws too. The checkbox would require a configuration file,
> which somebody mentioned xpdf doesn't have yet. What I have also been

That would be me, the xpdf maintainer. The checkbox would only require
a configuration file if you want it to remember your choice between
instances.. if you just want it for one session, it wouldn't require that.

It would still require some GUI hacking. Xpdf uses its own X toolkit,
and I'm not an X expert by any means.

> afraid of with the command line options is that scripts would start using
> them, making the scripts incompatible with the original xpdf. IMHO the
> default action should allow copying/printing, perhaps printing a warning
> if used without -q - otherwise many scripts might start adding
> -ignoreperms or if meant to be portable, could not use the feature at all.

Here's what I intend to do:

1. ASAP, implement the command line switch using the patch from Adam;

2. Investigate modifying the dialog box to allow you to override the
   permissions when you try to print/copy. I say investigate because
   I'm not promising anything.

I don't see any need for three different command line parameters.
The suggestion about showing the status all the time is a good one,
but that's quite a large change for Debian to be applying, so I
don't want to do that.

Hamish