Re: pseudo kernel package -- alsa

On Fri, Mar 16, 2001 at 07:31:37PM +0000, John Travers wrote:
> I am having quite a lot of difficulty getting alsa running on my machine. I
> build my own custom kernels because using the debian kernel package assumes
> lilo. I use grub. Is there a kernel package that installs the include files in
> the right places and makes the dependencies of the debian alsa packages
> satisfied (without assuming lilo) or is there a simpler way? (I wouldn't mind setting alsa up myself
> (i.e. from source) but then programs that depend on alsa wouldn't install.

you should really look at the kernel-img.conf(5) man page, you can
tune all of this behaviour nowadays and it's all quite nice.  my
previous workaround for this situation involved installing a perl
script as /sbin/lilo and dpkg-divert'ing the real executable away in
case I needed it for custom boot floppies and so forth, the perl
script just re-generates grub's menu.lst file with a full list of all
installed kernels.  there should be a copy in the list archives, email
me privately if you have trouble locating it there and want a copy.

Marc