e3 (was Re: visudo not vi?)

On Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 10:01:19PM +0100, Peter Korsgaard wrote:
> What brings you to this conclusion? if you do apt-get source e3 you
> see it's in asm (nasm syntax) - On linux it uses a hardcoded elf
> header and the upx exe packer, otherwise it just uses ld to link it.
>
> From the makefile:
> ifeq    ($(OS),LINUX)
>         nasm -f bin -l e3.lst -o e3 $(ASOURCES) -DCRIPLED_ELF=1 -D$(OS) -D$(EXMODE)

ROFL.  That's what I get for making assumptions and using the wrong
tests to verify them. ;-)  That's also what I get for listening to my
coworker. ;-)

Here's where the assumption came from (README)

    e3's assembler version is primary available on Linux. FreeBSD and
    BeOS are also possible, but there are also GNU-C-written versions
    for non-i386-Unix platforms (e3.c, included again) and for 16-bit
    DOS (not anymore included).

    This README doesn't further care about e3.c. (Just make it!)

So, it's available, but just not being built in the Debian package.
It may be advantageous to make a new binary package for e3c so we can
get a little cross-platform use. ;-)

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie@wookimus.net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie
Key fingerprint = B4AB D627 9CBD 687E 7A31  1950 0CC7 0B18 206C 5AFD