Re: visudo not vi?

Quoting "Matus \"fantomas\" Uhlar" <uhlar@fantomas.sk>:

> -> > Here is what I got:
> -> >
> -> > >>>>>>>>>>>>>
> -> >
> -> > File read and write  ^X I ^X^W      Left, down, up, right   ^B  ^N  ^P
> -> > ^F
> ->
> -> > what the heck is this editor?
> ->
> -> ae.  It's supposed to be an easy editor.  I find it's a pain in the ass.
>
> agreed, wtf it's still in the base distribution?
> it should be probably replaced by elvis-tiny , even on distribution disks...
>
> comments?

If memory serves me correctly, there where a big flamewar a couple of
yars ago, about including emacs on the bootdisks etc. It was ultimatly
desided and realized that even the most die-hard emacs fanatic (Tm :)
that emacs is just to big for this purpose. So came ae, which let's you
have a little of both worlds (at a big cost in both worlds unfortunatly,
but that's usually what a compromise will do).

It will give you an editor with emacs syntax, and it will give you an
editor with vi syntax... Neither of the syntaxes are very good, but...

If you think ae sucks, well, I personaly JUST F*****G _HATE_ VI and all
derivates! One can't make everyone happy, but ae is a resonably compromise.

--
 Turbo     __ _     Debian GNU     Unix _IS_ user friendly - it's just
 ^^^^^    / /(_)_ __  _   ___  __  selective about who its friends are

pits subway supercomputer Panama counter-intelligence quiche Ortega
BATF Ft. Bragg Khaddafi tritium South Africa NSA strategic DES