A new way to see the versions of Debian

Well, I hate that when I begin to think, and think, and everything goes away.

I can't sleep and I'd like to put these ideas, and eventually share these ideas

with others on a Debian's mailing-list. But who am I to think that my ideas

are worth to be consider? I don't know, I don't even use much Debian, and I am

not a maintainer or nothing like that, I even never made a package. Who cares.

I heard on 'what's new this week with Debian' (or something like that) that stuff

is being talk right now about how freezing should happens. I did not even read these

messages, but my mind is riding...

I came to see the development of Debian, as a big dependancy tree. But the freezing

process do not seems to see it the way I do. If the freezing process would obey this

way of seeing things, new packages would mostly be seen like adding stuff on the last

version of Debian, since most packages are just adding to what is working now. In my

mind, the only way to 'change' a version of Debian, is to change a package on which

other packages depends. Or changing stuff (kernels, booting disks, etc) that other

depends on to work. So, a maintainer that wish to change a package, (in a perfect world,

adding stuff to a package, would not change the dependancy tree, just changing the

interface exported to other package would, but since there iss a need to recompile...),

is in fact proposing a change to the distribution.

How things should work, according to me?

I am not exactly sure. I would probably suggest something like assembling

complex objects:

-let's have let's say four versions evolving simultaneously,  v1,v2,v3,v4,

-each time it is decided, v2 becomes v1, v3 becomes v2, v4 becomes v3, and v1 is... discarded?

-everybody can ADD stuff, anytime, to any versions as long every packages

on which it depends exists and they all accepts to be based upon them

-you can modify a package, as long as no one depends on it

-once you have decided to accept that others packages depends on it,

you can't remove it, and you can't modify it (a bit severe, but short to describe :-))

-if you leave it there more than x time, you are reputed to have decided to accept

that others packages depends on it

I think, that's the way I see it. So once in a while, there is an empty v4. And the

kernel maintainer can decide to add there a new kernel, or the good old one, if he/she

wish. After a little while, the time that he/she accept that we add stuff over it,

others maintainer get the same choice, and v4 is build subtree by subtree.

In this way of seeing, the very up to date version is the oldest v1. But it had publicly known bugs. v3 is the last working version, it have few known bugs, but have less packages than

v2 and v1. v4 does almost not work since few packages are there, but it contains very new

features, and no known bugs, or really almost no known bugs.

Is it a bad idea?