filename conflicts between packages

I am packaging a tool called tcptrace which can generate input data for
a program called xplot.  This xplot program is not the program from the
debian xplot package, but a completely different program written by Tim
Shepard of the MIT Lab for Computer Science.  Therefore I also intend to
package the MIT version of xplot.  The two xplot programs do not share
compatible input formats, so there is no possibility of using the
alternatives system.

Debian policy states that this issue needs to be discussed on -devel and
one of the competing /usr/bin/xplot programs needs to be renamed.  Since
the current xplot package has been in Debian for some time, should I
assume that I will have to rename mine?  I'd like to avoid that, if
possible, as it has the potential to lead to a ton of confusion.  Of
course, renaming the current xplot program could lead to just as much
(if not more, considering it's been around for a while).

What do people think?
thanks.
noah