Re: How-To: Politely ask after seemingly-abandoned package

Kenneth Vestergaard Schmidt wrote:

On Sunday 11 March 2001 05:54, idalton@ferret.phonewave.net wrote:

It would appear that gcc-m68k-linux is abandoned. There are several

It would also appear that xmame, xmame-x, xmame-fx and xmame-gl are abandoned. It's six months behind on upstream releases, and its got a couple of long-standing bugs.

I would like to ask for maintainership, on the assumption that the
current maintainer (Martin Mitchell <martin@debian.org>) is no longer
actively maintaining it. The package does have a serious policy

(same maintainer). Can we assume that he simply dropped of the face of the earth? Ferret, Aaron and me have packages from the same maintainer, which are unmaintained.

But I just seem to be unable to ask something like this without coming
across as being rude..

I sent him an email four days ago (or maybe three). Haven't gotten a reply yet...

It's a shame when people don't orphan their packages.. In this case, nobody wants to be impolite, thereby slowing down the adoption process. But I'm not sure if a "keepalive" system would be feasible.. What do others think?

Humans don't speak HTTP. ;)

Perhaps he's dead, ala Joel Klecker? That would be.. disturbing...

Rgds
Kenneth

Regards,

Alex.