Re: How-To: Politely ask after seemingly-abandoned package

On Sat, Mar 10, 2001 at 08:54:49PM -0800, idalton@ferret.phonewave.net wrote:
> It would appear that gcc-m68k-linux is abandoned. There are several
> outstanding bugs between six months and two years old against the
> package, and to my knowledge it hasn't been maintained since Slink was
> frozen.
>
> I would like to ask for maintainership,
[...]
> I actually USE this package (although changing its nature to a sparc
> cross-compiler) and have an interest in fixing it.
>
> But I just seem to be unable to ask something like this without coming
> across as being rude..

Just take it over.  When something's been unmaintained that long, it's
better to ask forgiveness than permission.  Odds are you'll never to have
to ask for the former because the guy will never show up.

--
G. Branden Robinson             |  <joeyh> oh my, it's a UP P III.
Debian GNU/Linux                |  <doogie> dos it.