Re: portability as a goal for debian?

* Marcus Brinkmann (Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de) [010306 21:04]:
> Ash uses pmake. So I have to port pmake to the Hurd, although I would rather
> stick with GNU make. The build dependencies are up to the upstream
> software most of the time anyway, and almost every Debian package has so
> rich build dependencies (up to XFree86) that depending on the GNU tools is
> not a problem.

in fact I was aiming at portability of the debian tools (dpkg,
apt, debhelper, debconf... ) and the essential packages for now.

it is well out of our power too evangalize upstream about
portability. but can we encurage it in any way?

> I would rather see a way to specify how portable a package is first.

This is right. I aim at portability among posix, I guess. (I do
not know very much about posix!). Not at vmx or dos.

> Note that you must have GNU make
> and other tools for some software to compile, so it doesn't make much sense
> to remove this option consequently.

by limiting it down as much as possible we minimize time and
efford in the future. this is a good thing, again.