Re: Tax software (was Re: my answers to questions)

I have transferred this to debian-devel because it probably is off
topic for debian-vote.

    Chris> On Mar 06, Bdale Garbee wrote:
    >> It's less clear to me that there will ever be an Open Source
    >> tax preparation program that can handle my needs.  Our tax
    >> codes are ridiculously complex and change every year... and my
    >> tax situation is complicated.  Given the cost and complexity of
    >> working with a professional tax preparer, and the potential
    >> cost of a calculation failure if it results in an IRS audit,
    >> I'm willing to continue paying a modest amount for a
    >> proprietary program to perform this function every year.  It
    >> would be nicer if there were one that ran on Linux, of
    >> course...

Yes. It is clear that some categories of software just may never be
available in open source format :-(

    Chris> The problem with an OS tax prep program is that I suspect
    Chris> that the "no warranty" bit in the license would not always
    Chris> be interpreted as literally meaning "no warranty",
    Chris> particularly if you encountered an overly populist judge or
    Chris> jury.  If that problem were overcome (can it really be?), I
    Chris> can easily see a DFSG-free tax prep program with the author
    Chris> selling support - namely, insurance that the program is
    Chris> audit-proof.

I can't really comment on that bit.

More importantly:
- the laws are always changing.
- the laws vary considerably in different countries.

    Chris> (I do use Gnucash though... it seems very capable, at least
    Chris> for what I need it to do - keeping my checking account
    Chris> balance above zero.)

Yes. I find it good for that too. (although I am still using xacc,
which is a bit buggy here and there, probably should upgrade
sometime).

As a pilot, another application which never will be possible in open
source format is flight planning software. While the basic stuff is
simple maths (and I am slowly writing that much myself), if you want
to overlay it on the map with controlled airspace marked, this is not
possible in an open source project. This is because you are legally
required (at least in Australia, it is probably similar in other
countries) to use the official maps, and the official maps are
copyright and not licensed to be freely distributed.

And the only non-free software that does this is available for what
OS?  You guessed it! (hint: it has a reputation for crashing
frequently in the famous blue sea^h^h^h^h screen of death).
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>