Re: How to make Packages file 50% smaller

    Joey> Alexander Hvostov wrote:
    >> I suggest splitting off each description into a separate file,
    >> like Brian suggests, and then having dselect et al download
    >> descriptions on demand. That's almost as fast and helps
    >> everyone.

    Joey> Good greif. Some of us upgrade offline. *Many* of us have
    Joey> high latency or low bandwidth connections. I'd rather have a

Thats me.

I also have to pay for each megabyte I receive. It is not cheap.

Also this link is shared, so while I am downloading huge Packages
files, I affect everyone else who is using the connection, too.

    Joey> large wait at the start than turn every tool that uses
    Joey> extended descriptions into a crawling nighmare.

I would rather have a small delay whenever I look up package
information, rather then pay to download large descriptions (up to
once a day), which in all probability have not even changed since last
time.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>