Re: autobuilder environment variables?

Greetings!

Jules Bean <jules@jellybean.co.uk> writes:

> On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 04:13:35PM -0500, Camm Maguire wrote:
> > Greetings!  Do the autobuilders set any particular environment
> > variables?  Is there any other way that 'apt-get -b source <package>'
> > can build a package customized to the user's hardware, but the
> > autobuilder build a generic binary that will run on all systems?
> > (i.e. consider i386 extension instructions, such as 3dnow and sse).
> >
> > There seems to be some consensus that it would be better not to have
> > the atlas package, for example, compile tuned libs under /usr/lib/sse
> > and /usr/lib/3dnowext, but to rather compile a single lib, and have an
> > easy procedure for the end-user to rebuild from source and tune the
> > package to their hardware.
>
> Hmm.  The 3dnow and sse portions of code tend to be small; many
> programs I've seen simply compile them all and select the right one at
> run-time.  Bloat, obviously, but not much bloat I don't think.
>
> Or is that not appropriate for atlas?

Well, this is rather contrary to the design of atlas.  Atlas has been
designed for speed above all else, and is intended to be tuned to an
end-users particular hardware -- i.e. it is not intended to be
portable.  This makes distributing a binary package tricky -- should
we stick purely to this philosophy, or cover a few of the major bases
in a basically transparent fashion?

Take care,