Re: Weekly debian-user FAQ

Yotam Rubin <yotam@makif.omer.k12.il> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I've been thinking of the following idea: Users will benefit greatly
> from a weekly FAQ containing summarized answers to questions which
> some users are very likely to encounter. These answers and questions
> will be taken from the debian-user mailing list and summarized by
> some FAQ manager (I volunteer for this task) This is better than
> just looking at the archives because not all questions are answered
> and not all answers are accurate/complete/correct/whatever.  Every
> two or three months we'll form a summarized version of all the
> previous weekly FAQs. In addition to posting the FAQ on the site we
> could open a new mailing list: debian-user-faq. What do you think?

That would be a good idea. I'd like to help.

My rough idea is as this:

1) this faq list should be low traffic, thus could attract users to
subscribe in.

2) because 1), it'd better be a moderated list. People should not ask
question there but on debian-user/devel(?) as usual, moderator then
shall watch these lists and write editorial to faq list. (but read on)

3) Information could be collected from not only debian-user, but every
public debian lists, but info should focused on *usibility* of debian
systems.

4) the 3) above distinguish it from debian-news, or kernel cousin. ;)

5) To make life easier for faq moderators/authors, (compare even with
the work needed to contribute to debian-news or KC debian ;) free, or
no, specific format will be used.

6) To make life even easier to make this to become true. ;) Lemme give
my rough idea of the work flow: ;)

Everyone when watch on debian-devel/user/whatever, see a post *with
correct answers* in it, forward it to moderators list. thus info
collect would be easy, and everyone could contribute with *no*
editorial tirsome. ;) Then moderator do some minimal or whatever level
of editoial task to publish it, or even to confirm the
correctness. etc. ect. Of course, a person could do as moderator and
postor at the same time if s/he so wish. ;)

Last, the focus is *usibility*. [ But if the traffic is low enough,
maybe Wichert's previous suggests on debian developers monthly tricks
could also be applied here. ]

7) Why the above 6) is such complicated? Only considering every useful
debian lists is heavy traffic, collect information from these *is*
difficult. (joeyh is someone i cannot believe. ;)

8) and this could let me, as a suck programmer to do more, and enjoy
more, hehe. ;)

9) and is this needed? definitely. few people can survive from the
heavy traffic of debian-user, but nearly everyone has questions
regarding debian from timt to time. if this comes to be true, people
could ask on debian-user, and watch on faq list to save their
lifes. and even better people who can subscrib to debian-user will not
notice the change. and no need to ``Cc: me please, because i'm not on
the list.'' ;)

Comments?

--
ÕÔε <http://www.zhaoway.com/>