Re: dpkg-scanlibs

On Mon, Feb 26, 2001 at 12:15:52PM -0500, Adam McKenna wrote:
> When I press TAB in vi, it inserts a TAB character.  Not 2 or 4 or 8 spaces.
> If you are using an editor that inserts spaces when you press TAB, then IMHO
> you are using a broken editor.

When I press Caps Lock under X, it's configured to not turn on! Does
this mean that my computer is broken?

Tab is both a key and an ASCII character. There is no reason why the key
must map to the character.

My relevant setting are:

(setq c-indent-tabs-mode t)
(global-set-key [(shift tab)] '(lambda () (interactive) (insert ?\t)))

For the illiterate, this makes emacs interpret the TAB key as a command
to indent the line (using tabs, mind you), and the shift-tab sequence as
a command to insert a literal tab.

What I'm trying to prove is that you can't blame the editor for what
happens when you press tab. In all notable editors[1], the behavior is up
to the user.

[1] Emacs