libnss-ldap breaks gdm and screen saver?

Hello,

Previously I was using /etc/passwd with libpam_krb5 (heimdal version)
without any serious problems.

I moved the contents of /etc/passwd to openldap, and am using
nss-ldap, using the attached nsswitch.conf file. I am still using
libpam_krb5 for authentication.

# /etc/nsswitch.conf
#
# Example configuration of GNU Name Service Switch functionality.
# If you have the `glibc-doc' and `info' packages installed, try:
# `info libc "Name Service Switch"' for information about this file.

passwd:         files ldap
group:          files ldap
shadow:         files

hosts:          files dns
networks:       files

protocols:      db files
services:       db files
ethers:         db files
rpc:            db files

netgroup:       nis
Almost all programs seem to work fine: including id, mgetty, finger.

xscreensaver works fine (authentication is with libpam_unix). but
for some reason it displays the user id as "???".

gdm does not work at all. It does not let me log in, nor can I see
any errors in /var/log/auth.log

If I put the entry back in /etc/passwd, everything works fine again.

Can I conclude that neither gdm nor xscreensaver support the NSS
functions in libc6, but instead directly extract the information from
/etc/passwd?

(I use the Helix versions of these programs).
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>