Re: quitting from install scripts

On Thu, Feb 22, 2001 at 09:44:50AM -0600, Steve Greenland wrote:
> > > What is the usual approach to handling the aborting of a package
> > > installation?  Is it appropriate to "exit 1" in preinst if the user chooses
> > > "Quit", halting the installation of the package?
>
> (I saw that you have decided not to do that, but anyway:)
>
> Read the packaging-manual section about the way the maintainer scripts
> are called and how dpkg responds to their failure.

Ah yes, 6.3.3.3 says postrm abort-upgrade/abort-install would be called if
preinst found an error.

Anyway, best and simpler to just not allow any "quit" option.

Thanks,

Drew

--
PGP public key available at http://dparsons.webjump.com/drewskey.txt
Fingerprint: A110 EAE1 D7D2 8076 5FE0  EC0A B6CE 7041 6412 4E4A