Re: ITA: Jail, not the FreeBSD jail

On Tue, Feb 20, 2001 at 11:27:56PM +0100, Amaya wrote:
> I'm just using the name the package already had when I adopted it.
> Now I'm very confused :-m
>
> I haven't seen anything in debian-policy regarding this, and BSD's Jail is not
> packaged in Debian, is it?

BSD's Jail is (Free?)BSD specific, and probably would go into another
package (bsdmainutils?) if a port were packaged. If you were packaging
jail anew, I might recommend a longer more descriptive name, but renaming
a package is painful to current users, and definitely not worth the
trouble here.

A maintainer should find a compromise between a full description and excess
verbosity. (For example, the package utf-converter (which never made into
Debian) should have been named utf-converter-zh, as it only handled Chinese
character sets (and Unicode). But utf-converter-gb2123-big5 or
utf-converter-for-chinese would have fallen into the overly verbose stage. (As
I apparently have.))

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
"I don't care if Bill personally has my name and reads my email and