Re: package build-depending on itself?

On Sun, Feb 18, 2001 at 09:54:12AM +0100, Michael Weber wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Is it allowed for a package to build-depend on itself?
>
> In my case, it is ghc4, which has the following:
>
> Build-Depends: debhelper (>= 2.0.40), autoconf (>= 2.12), cpio,
>  cygnus-stylesheets, ghc4 (>= 4.07), happy (>= 1.7)
>                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> So, you need an older version of ghc4 to build a current version,
> which is actually true (it's a compiler).  I've received bug #83463,
> saying this is bad.
>
> I'm afraid, there aren't many options to prevent this...  Any
> suggestions?

It's not good, but it's unavoidable. We had this discussion before on
debian-devel, the resolution was that if it's unavoidable, it's
unavoidable. No one's going to kick dozens of packages out of Debian
because they depend or build-depend on a package that build-depends
itself.

So you can close the bug report.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
"I don't care if Bill personally has my name and reads my email and