Re: BSMTP on debian.net

On Fri, Feb 16, 2001 at 01:53:05PM -0500, Steve Robbins wrote:
> Granted.  But even the most paranoid would have to grant that your
> scenario is a WHOLE LOT LESS LIKELY than the probability that the next
> schmoe with your IP will have an open SMTP port. (which is already a
> small fraction of the typical cablemodem users!)

and it's probably an open relay smtp port....which is why some cable
providers (at least here in australia, dunno about the US) block inbound
SMTP connections to their customers at their border router.

that's another reason i like uucp for this kind of job: a) it's not an
open relay, b) it doesn't matter whether the ISP blocks inbound smtp,
c) it doesn't matter whether the ISP blocks any/all inbound connections
because the poll is always an outbound connection with a simple tcp
protocol that doesn't care about being masqueraded/NATted.

btw: you need to use a FQDN in your address in the Mail-Followup-To
header - it looks like my MTA or MUA appended my domain so it came out
as "steve@taz.net.au"

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>

      GnuPG Key: 1024D/CD5626F0
Key fingerprint: 9674 7EE2 4AC6 F5EF 3C57  52C3 EC32 6810 CD56 26F0