Re: BSMTP on debian.net

On Fri, Feb 16, 2001 at 05:17:40PM -0200, Henrique M Holschuh wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Feb 2001, Steve Robbins wrote:
> > That's not true.  There's no reason klecker cannot call out,
>
> Yes, there is. Some of us are unlucky enough to be behind NAT firewalls,
> that will block any incoming connections. For us, it is much better to be
> able to call klecker, and not the opposite.

Yes, but we were comparing UUCP to SMTP.  The claim was that the
SMTP scheme was better because it doesn't require "polling".  The
person to whom I responded mistakenly thought that UUCP requires
that one side must poll the other.  I am pointing out that both
can call out.

Presumably, in a case like yours, you cannot receive incoming
SMTP, either.  [Sure, there can be exceptions.  Let's not get
overly pedantic, OK?]  In this case, you'd want either the batched
SMTP or UUCP.  And only one side would do the calling.
The original message of Jason G contained at least two
different mechanisms.  You're talking about one, but we were
talking about the other.

-S