policy questions -- uid of users stored non-locally (e.g. in LDAP)

Hello,

I am writing an LDAP-aware adduser script for my own use. I was wondering whether there has been any discussion regarding policies to avoid uid number clashes with multiple login sources.

This is the scenario I would not want to see happen.

1. User 1001(alice) added to box A, where accounts are stored in flat files.
2. User 1001(bob) added to ldap directory from box b, where no user 1001 exists.
3. box A migrated to nss_ldap, pam_ldap, etc.

I don't know how box A would cope with this conflict, but I'm pretty sure it's something I'd like to avoid. Is there any preference for uid numbers of non-local account, say starting at 10,000 instead of 1,000?

Of course, if there is an LDAP aware adduser script already packaged in Debian, I'd love to hear of it.

If there's an easy answer to this question, I'll have ten more by the time I get it :)

Rob