No network!! - HELP!

I had to reboot my box after a hard lock up today and I find that all of a
sudden, I have NO network!!! It doesn't seem to matter what I do or try, the
network (not even the loopback) will configure!

I've been doing dist-upgrades every so often. Has something changed to screw
things up that I missed?

I have an /etc/network/interfaces file that has the following:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eht0
iface eht0 inet static
    address 192.168.1.25
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    gateway 192.168.1.254

If I comment out the "auto" lines I get nothing from ifup/ifdown/ifconfig or
a networking restart. If I keep them I get this when I restart the network:

Reconfiguring network interfaced: SIOCSIFADDR: Bad file descriptor
lo: unknown interface: Bad file descriptor
lo: unknown interface: Bad file descriptor
SIOCSIFADDR: Bad file descriptor
eth0: unknown interface: Bad file descriptor
SIOCSIFNETMASK: Bad file descriptor
eth0: unknown interface: Bad file descriptor
done

My /etc/network/ifstate file says
lo=lo
eth0=eth0

I noticed that my ethernet card module (3c59x.o) was not loading at boot
even though I have a line in /etc/modules.conf that says: alias eth0 3c59x
(this file created with update-modules). So I insmod it manually and still
have problems.

My /etc/modules file loads other modules such as agpgart, dri drivers, usb
joystick and such.

I'm using kernel 2.4.1 quite successfully until now. It must have been the
last dist-upgrade I did that changed something (a few days ago maybe) but I
haven't a clue what!

What gives, what the heck is going on? How do I fix it? I don¹t want to have
to reinstall and then upgrade all over again! I just went through this
painful process.

Help!

--
Carl B. Constantine             (carl@os-s.com)    Phone: 250.953.2650
Open Source Solutions Inc.                           Fax: 250.953.2659

 Up the line - out the server- past the firewall - nothing but Net!!