Re: generating list of user-modified conf files

On Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 10:54:00AM -0800, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:

> > What I want to know, is am I reinventing the wheel? Is there a simpler
> > way to do something like this? (dpkg checks the md5sums of conffiles
> > when upgrading, so it has *some* of this funcionality.)
> >

> look at the package cruft.  It may not apply, but some ideas may be relevant.
> Besides, cruft could use some help.

I actually do use cruft, but it is for a completely different purpose.
It lists files that "don't belong on your system"... whereas I'm looking
for modified config files.

I can probably look at how it works and get some tips... thanks. At this
point, what seems to me to be the most useful thing one could do to help
cruft is to send more "filters" (the stuff that belongs in
/usr/lib/cruft/filters/). Correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't studied the
workings of cruft too much.

Later,
Hugo