problem with gdm and latest X

I upgraded my system the other day with the latest X packages (I believe
they cam from the progeny site, but didn't really check). Anyway, I did not
upgrade gdm which was set on hold. But now gdm does not start anymore. Well
that is it does start but stops immediately because of a strange ownership
of /tmp/.X11-unix. The directory is owned by root.gdm. I worked around the
problem by creating the directory with ownership root.root by starting X as
root and then started gdm again and now it works. Any idea what changed? Is
this a bug in gdm or in one of the X libraries?

Michael
--
Michael Meskes
Michael@Fam-Meskes.De