Re: Changes to the New Maintainer (NM) system

On Tue, Feb 06, 2001 at 12:22:49PM -0200, Henrique M Holschuh wrote:
> And you can just ignore anyone asking
> you to recommend them, you know. So, it's not like the change will push more
> work down your throat if you don't want it to.

That's not exactly true. If nobody else does, and the person is going to
pick up work that I used to do, I will have to recommend them or the work
will not be done. So, although I could ignore this entirely (I could also
ignore Debian entirely, and leave the project), practically it is likely
that there will be circumstances where I have to do it. This is because my
main work here is with Debian GNU/Hurd, which involves a lot of people.

I used to say to people: Hey, come an join us, register as an applicant.
This is an open project.

I can't say this anymore without also volunteering to recommend them.
I would have to say, sorry, you can not become a developer without a
recommendation, and I can't recommend you because my browser is broken,
or because I am travelling and have just email access. Or because I am
just too busy. Or because I don't have access to my gpg key where I am
currently.

This is just one more step to close up Debian. You not only need the
motivation to enter, but also the qualification. Now, you also need the
blessing of someone else. It's easy to stipulate that it will not be a
problem for someone to become a recommendation. If this is true, a
recommendation is just unnecessary work load.

What makes me sad is that none of these additional infrastructures are going
to fix any real problems. They just add work that doesn't do anything. It's
like a formalization of all the noise on our mailing list.

Marcus