Re: ITP: snacc Sample-Neufeld ASN.1 to C Compiler

On Thu, Feb 01, 2001 at 01:45:41AM -0500, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously W. Borgert wrote:
> > The version I took is not maintained by the original authors
> > anymore.  There is also a new version of SNACC, that is
> > maintained by Getronics (http://www.getronicsgov.com/hot/\
> > snacc_home.htm).
>
> If I remember correctly the OpenH323 project also has a ASN.1 to C++
> convertor that is actively maintained.

Yes, you're right.  But there are some differences:

Snacc supports C, C++, and IDL and the encoding rules are
BER (Basic Encoding Rules).  In the Getronics snacc they are
DER (Distinguished Encoding Rules), a variant of BER.

The PWlib asnparser, as used in OpenH323, supports "only"
C++, AFAIK, and the encoding rules are PER (Packed Encoding
Rules).

So, while I asked Thomas Bushnell to include asnparser in
pwlib-dev, and also wrote a little manual page for it, snacc
has its use of its own.
--
W. Borgert <debacle@debian.org>