Re: Maintainer qualification

>>"Marcus" == Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:

 Marcus> On Thu, Feb 01, 2001 at 03:35:53PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

 >> Have we accepted that mediocrity is really our lot? What
 >> happened to the quest for excellence? I joined an effort to create
 >> the *BEST* distribution of linux, not merely a feel good, prolific
 >> one.

 Marcus> How about accepting mediocrity to start with and striving for
 Marcus> excellence while learning, over time.

	No, Marcus. Mediocrity is not synonymous with inexperience --
 I know a number of  excellent people who would readily admit that
 they do not know a field.

 Marcus> You don't really need to know much to package a small game
 Marcus> correctly. Wouldn't it be silly to burn highly skilled
 Marcus> peoples time on easy tasks, or throw away a useful
 Marcus> contribution regardless of where it comes?

	I do not think so. Perhaps in an ideal world, where every one
 knew their own limitations, and recognized boundaries, etc, and there
 was miscommunication, or egos, etc. But in reality, hiring
 incompetent people is a mistake.

	Hiring excellent inexperienced people is not the same thing.

 Marcus> I have seen excellent packaging from not so "skilled"
 Marcus> developers, and bad packaging from skilled developers.

	Mistakes happen. But if the packaging is consistently bad, I
 would question the label skilled.

 Marcus> I have seen a general improvement of Debian as a whole. To be
 Marcus> honest, I am not even sure what all the fuss is about. We are
 Marcus> doing nice integrating the work of mediocrity without loosing
 Marcus> the over-all quality.

	Famous last words.

	manoj
--