Re: Maintainer qualification

* Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> wrote:

I do not speak C or C++, nor do I know gtk or xforms
programming. Nevertheless, I maintain packages that are written in C
and C++ and use these toolkits. And I do think I do a good job.

> An ability to do a security fix is a far cry from having the basic
> skills to ``modify the code of their packages''. If you can't do the
> latter, you can't even evaluate the quality of fixes being submitted
> to you, and your package is likely to suffer.

Sometimes, I can deduct from my perl and pike knowledge if a fix will
work.

If I can not, I just ask upstream.

I forward all patches anyway. So no problem with that.

Ciao,
        Martin