Re: [Fwd: [RFC] Making NM 'by recommendation']

On Thu, Feb 01, 2001 at 12:23:05AM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> I support measures which raise the bar to new maintainers,
> provided they concentrate on qualities that are valuable in a
> developer - chiefly, a very high level of technical competence.

I would put social skills on an equal footing. Even the industry has
recognized the value of such soft skills.

> In my personal opinion, anyone who thinks that it's a problem that
> these procedures are elitist should not be a Debian developer, but
> should go off and do something else.  Elitism - ie a high standard of
> techical excellence - is *exactly* what we're here for, and continue
> failure to recognise that will lead and is leading to problems.

No thanks, I will stay. I believe there is more to the issue than you
try to make it appear. Simplification of argument isn't always adding
value to it.

What I find most astonishing is the mere repitition of assertions without
proof, that not only started this meta-topic but accompanied it for the
whole time. Attempts to really identify the cause of problems and suggest
technical (or at least proper) solutions for them have been rare
(although this is not without precedent). The simple fact that you
are not specific about the problems you perceive seems to proof my point.

Marcus