Re: [Fwd: [RFC] Making NM 'by recommendation']

Osamu Aoki writes ("Re: [Fwd: [RFC] Making NM 'by recommendation']"):
> Does debian have enough people to maintain bug free distribution as
> you wish to be?  [...]

No, Debian has *too many* people to maintain as bug free a
distribution as we would like.  Adding more people to the project at
this point is not increasing the software quality, it is reducing it.
This is because the average competence of the applicants is lower than
the average competence of the existing developers.

That's not to say that there aren't technically excellent people who
are not (yet) developers who would be an asset to the project, but
those people are not going to have difficulty meeting requirements
like needing a recommendation.

I support measures which raise the bar to new maintainers,
provided they concentrate on qualities that are valuable in a
developer - chiefly, a very high level of technical competence.

In my personal opinion, anyone who thinks that it's a problem that
these procedures are elitist should not be a Debian developer, but
should go off and do something else.  Elitism - ie a high standard of
techical excellence - is *exactly* what we're here for, and continue
failure to recognise that will lead and is leading to problems.

Ian.