chrooting apache

Hi,

I'm currently in the process of chrooting all of our external
services and have hit a problem with apache (the latest debian
download as of today).

I think I've got all libs etc installed in the chroot area and
everything needed und etc. However apache refuses to start with
a bad user name www-data error message even though I have
passwd/shadow/group/gshadow with this user (and only this user).

Am I missing any authentication programs or files in my chrooted
area?

Thanks,

stephen walton