Re: FHS compliance and UNIX sockets

    Jakob> I would use ${HOME}/.${PACKAGE}/some-socket if a user
    Jakob> needed a socket (similar to emacs's (start-server)
    Jakob> sometimes using ~/.eserv (I think) as the socket).

Then sockets are never automatically cleaned though.

I think there might be some other problems, eg. sharing between users,
but I need to check this first.

    Richard> I don't think this will work if $HOME is on a network
    Richard> file system.

NFS is OK, because the sockets aren't interpreted as sockets at the
server, only at the client. As proof of the concept, none of these
programs break even when /tmp is NFS mounted.

However, you could argue this is behaviour broken (NFS broken? Nooo!),
and other protocols (eg smbfs) are different.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>